Organic Farming Business Plan Investments Profit
Table of Contents
Organic farming methods make use of bio fertilizers and bio pesticides for cultivating farm lands. It also encourages farmers to make use of live stock that are bred using natural methods. Harmful chemicals are not allowed to be used by farmers. Apart from this farmers can not make use of genetically modified plants and animal breeds or crops. The system of farming is also considered as being holistic and at the same time helps in maintaining health of the community, soil and environment.
It proves helpful in maintaining the right balance within the eco-system, people, livestock and plants. The main aim of promoting organic farming business plan is to encourage more number of entrepreneurs who are able to provide with their contributions to help farmers get aware of the sustainable farming methods.
Types of Organic Farming
From livestock to crops organic farming makes use of natural sustainable farming methods.
The basics of organic farming follow the same basic principles. The farmers make use of the eco friendly methods and techniques that are sustainable. When cultivating crops, the farmers are not allowed to make use of chemically harsh pesticides, fertilizers and genetically modified crops or livestock. The farmer has to make use of natural and organic fertilizers and growth inhibitors for crops and livestock. Farmers are often requested to make use of crop rotation techniques, multiple cropping techniques and other types of techniques.
2 Types and categories
In general, organic farming makes use of three basic types of methods:-
- Pure Organic Farming – Organic farming methods make use fertilizers and manures that are natural. Farmers are also encouraged to make use of bio fertilizers. Farmers are not permitted to use chemical fertilizers in their farm lands.
- Integrated Farming –This is a type of farming that encourages farmers to make use of integrated management of nutrients and pest management. Farmers are not allowed to use chemical based pesticides for crops.
- Integrated farming systems – The government encourages the farmers to make use of more of local resources that are recycled within various components like goat rearing, poultry Farming, mushroom, fish pond etc. The farmers are encouraged to make use of these components along with crop farming. One main benefit is that the input cost involved is also very much low.
Method of organic farming
Organic farming is done with an aim to maintain best fertility of the soil. The process is not harmful to the eco system. It will improve the quality of crops. Main methods used by farmers for organic farming are listed below:-
- Crop diversity- This is also termed as Polyculture farming and farmers try and grow variety crops on the same farm land. This also helps the farmers to meet more demands of the people.
- Soil management – The moment any crop is cultivated the fertility of the soil is affected. Organic farming methods help in retaining soil fertility by making use of bio bacteria, animal waste and farm waste.
- Weed management – Within farming sector, weeds are considered as unwanted organisms. The moment you are making sue of organic farming method it proves helpful in lowering the count of weeds in the farm land. It does not promote in eliminating weeds from the farm land completely.
- Organism regulation – you need to keep in mind that organisms may be harmful and useful. Organic farming promotes making use of such organisms using organic pesticides and herbicides. It promotes using best sanitation facility amongst the farm lands.
- Livestock – the methods also encourages the farmers to make use of domestic animals and livestock along with farming lands to help increase the fertility of the soil.
- Genetic modification – The government does not allow farmers to make use of genetic modified crops, seeds or livestock. This eliminates the use of engineered plants and animals.
Important equipments and Material with cost
One of the main points that you need to keep in mind is that the method only encourages farmers to make use of organic fertilizers on the farm land. So the farmer needs to make use of naturally available farm and animal waste during farming. Apart from this you can also prepare bio fertilizer at your own place for mass production if you own a big farm land.
- To get started with preparation of bio fertilizer on your farm land you may need a number of equipments.
- You may have to make use of many equipments including autoclave, shaker, Poise balance, air flow chamber, incubator. Some other equipments may also include microscope, sealing and packing machine etc. your land or open space is also must for this business.
- In case you have to prepare 150 metric tones of bio fertilizer then you may have to invest around Rs 41 lakhs in bulk. The overall cost per farm land will be much lower equivalent to Rs 22.5 per Kg. This rate is offered by Government to the farmers at subsidized rate.
As organic farming makes use of bio techniques and bacteria, then it is obvious that you need to take a lot of precaution to prevent spoilage. Apart from this some other precautions that need to be taken are mentioned below:-
- Identify point of contamination – This is foremost important thing that farmer should be able to identify the point at which the crop may get contaminated.
- Avoid using chemical farm techniques in nearby farms – This technique makes use of organic methods so you have to maintain safe distance from chemical farms. Try and study the geographical structure within your neighboring areas.
- Test seeds in advance – Even before you are sowing seeds you have to test the quality of the seeds. For farmers it is important that they should gather relevant information from the authorities about testing.
- Implement individual testing systems – The farmers should ensure that they implement individual testing methods for different seeds and soil types. This will prevent risk of contamination.
With organic farming you may not have to worry much about the marketing area. The government has already encouraged farmers to sell their product directly to the traders at the open Mandi. The government has also offered farmers with convenience of getting registered online on government website where they can buy and sell their produce. Presently more number of people also prefer organic products.
The overall cost of investment may depend on the size and nature of your organic farm business plan. If you are planning to operate the business at a small level then it may not involve expense. The purchase price of equipments may not be much for small scale production of bio fertilizers on farm lands. Most of the materials may be available in the local residence or farm land. You can also get animal waste for free so no need to invest any money in this. To dig the pit on your farm land is also a task that may not involve labor cost. You just have to invest money in packing and marketing at the small scale level.
As per details it is obvious that the organic farming method offers farmers with reduced manufacturing cost. They may also not have to invest much money for over head expenses. The returns expected can be as much as 40 to 50 percent as per the calculations.
Just like any other business the organic farming business also involves some level of risk. Farmers have to maintain hygiene and have to perform test of soil, seeds and crops on regular intervals to avoid spoilage. As the method does not involve using harmful chemicals, so, not much of health issues are involved.
- Food Truck Business Plan
- How to Start a Fisheries (fish farming) Business in India
- Top 15 Business Ideas for Farmers In India
- Mug Printing Business Plan